OpenVPN for bridging VMware Fusion OS X guest to ESX guests?

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
SimonHF
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN for bridging VMware Fusion OS X guest to ESX guests?

Post by SimonHF » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:23 am

I have a VMware Workstation 8 server running an Active Directory server guest also with MS DNS & MS DHCP server. There are also many Windows guests. All the guests currently work on 'vmnet3' which in my case is 192.168.184.xxx. The guests get their dynamic IPs via MS DHCP server running on the AD server. This all works well.

Now to the problem: I want to introduce an OS X guest into this private virtual network. However, OS X only runs (unless you hack/'unlock' VMware Workstation 8 which I don't want to do) on VMware Fusion as a guest. Is it possible to use OpenVPN to somehow connect/bridge between VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation 8 so that when the OS X guest boots then it is assigned a dynamic IP from the MS DHCP server running as a guest on VMware Workstation 8? If so, then how?

Mimiko
Forum Team

Re: OpenVPN for bridging VMware Fusion OS X guest to ESX gue

Post by Mimiko » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:02 am

Is it possible to use OpenVPN to somehow connect/bridge between VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation 8 so that when the OS X guest boots then it is assigned a dynamic IP from the MS DHCP server running as a guest on VMware Workstation 8?
Theoretically, yes. How - read the manuals and how to's to set up a VPN connection.

forrestgump2000
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN for bridging VMware Fusion OS X guest to ESX gue

Post by forrestgump2000 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:51 pm

The issue at hand is not OpenVPN or reading how to set up a VPN connection. But rather if Fusion supports the ability to bridge to the OpenVPN network adapter. And the answer to that is "no"

While VirtualBox and Parallels both expose the tun/tap device as a network adapter that can be used for bridging, Fusion (through version 4.1.0) does not.