New install unable to ping or see network

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
ergs
OpenVpn Newbie

New install unable to ping or see network

Post by ergs » Mon May 16, 2011 1:45 am

Hi there

I am new to OpenVPN, I have been playing with it for a couple of days with NO luck and getting a little frustrated. I am trying to setup my Windows 7 Ent. machine as the server and using my laptop as the client (note the laptop is connecting to internet via USB 3G dongle).

My internal network on the Win 7 machine is 10.11.11.0, I have configured my router to forward UDP 1194 to my Win 7 machine (10.11.11.2). I have been following the instructions and just can't seem to ping hosts.

The VPN seems to connect OK, trying the simple method of 1 server to 1 client, no error messages:

Generate a static key:

openvpn --genkey --secret static.key
Copy the static key to both client and server, over a pre-existing secure channel.

Server configuration file

dev tun
ifconfig 10.8.0.1 10.8.0.2
secret static.key

Client configuration file
remote myremote.mydomain
dev tun
ifconfig 10.8.0.2 10.8.0.1secret static.key

Both Server and client are getting the 10.8.0.x addresses?
Should mention, also using dyndns, so I have sustitued the "myremote.mydomain" with my dyndns address. I have been running windows VPN PPTP 1723 till now with no problems, however I now need multiple VPN clients to connect and hoping to use OpenVPN as a solution.
I can't seem to find any information to help me?

janjust
Forum Team

Re: New install unable to ping or see network

Post by janjust » Mon May 16, 2011 6:10 am

in your setup the server is assigned the IP address 10.8.0.1 and is expecting that the client has IP 10.8.0.2; for the client it is exactly reversed.
After the connection is established, can the client ping the server VPN IP? what happens if the client pings the server LAN IP?

this setup is just a first step into getting multiple clients to connect to a single server; for multiple clients you will need to switch to client/server mode and you will need to set up certificates.

ergs
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by ergs » Mon May 16, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks for your reply. The Forum admin asked me to repost the question with more details.... meanwhile I did get the 1 to 1 working, now trying the 1 server many clients (topic8149.html)

I only resorted to trying the client to client to see if there were router forwarding or firewall problems, as I mentioned it worked so back to server to many..... really struggling with it.

janjust
Forum Team

Post by janjust » Mon May 16, 2011 10:07 am

Then I'm closing this thread.