Auto-tune mtu

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

krzee
Forum Team

Auto-tune mtu

Post by krzee » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:24 am

Allow for an option which will make the server run a mtu-test with each connecting client, and adjust its mtu according to the lowest MTU of the clients.

Caveats:
-This would need to recheck occasionally with all connected clients if the MTU has been lowered previously, so that all clients are not punished for a single client's MTU when that client is no longer connected.
-Previously connected clients would need to accept a new MTU from server while already connected, as well as on connection.

in-openvpn
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Auto-tune mtu

Post by in-openvpn » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:58 pm

This was driving me up the wall. I was using OpenVPN in an environment where it wasn't very convenient to manually tune the MTU at deployment time, and as you pointed out this value in theory could drift over time. I kept assuming that some combination of the billions of MTU features would work, to no avail. I discovered that unless you were willing to accept fragmentation (either by the network--always a bad idea and with IPv6 an impossible idea--or by OpenVPN itself at the cost of 4 bytes per packet) you simply cannot get a properly auto-tuning MTU configuration and that network connectivity would often simply break.

This was also complicated by the fact that with TAP devices, the tun-mtu parameter was calculated incorrectly by OpenVPN. Specifically, the MTU as set by the interface device does NOT include the size of the ethernet header, whereas the tun-mtu provided by OpenVPN does include the size (presumably legacy from the more popular TUN devices).

I discovered while researching the various options that the mtu-disc option actually discovers the correct Path-MTU between the client and server: OpenVPN just wasn't doing anything very useful with that information (unless you had OpenVPN internal fragmentation enabled). So I just inserted some code to detect this case and manually run `ifconfig $device mtu $tun_mtu` as necessary.

I read about an idea from mailing list to forge an ICMP can't fragment error packet. This unfortunately doesn't help non-TCP packets whereas adjusting the MTU on the interface does (by allowing fragmentation or by causing a legitimate ICMP packet to be sent as necessary).

However, the patch I made to support this is not necessarily entirely ready to be stuffed into the next release. Specifically I didn't attempt to integrate the mtu setting into the tun.c style generic framework with route2 and ifconfig support, but rather just hardcoded a pathname. Possibly I didn't even put the check in the right place. However, the hardcoded command and the test location were both very convenient.

Another concern is that you are guaranteed to drop packets (one per Path MTU shrinkage) every time you restart OpenVPN as Path MTU discovery takes place. Due to the poor initial configuration of tun-mtu, this is going to happen at least one time per restart. If there are actually multiple MTUs in use in your network, it will occur several times. However, Path MTU discovery and the dropped packets associated with it are pretty standard fare on the internet.

More seriously is the problem that multi-client server will use the lowest MTU to any of the clients that have ever attached to it. I don't really see any good way around this problem without having individual per-client interfaces, though in theory at least we could detect when that client went away and try to raise the MTU back up.

Anyway, I hope this is useful for someone.

Code: Select all

--- a/forward.c
+++ b/forward.c
@@ -1156,6 +1156,41 @@ process_outgoing_link (struct context *c)
                 BLEN (&c->c2.to_link),
                 size);
        }
+      else if (size < 0 && c->c2.link_socket->info.mtu_changed)
+        {
+         int newmtu = c->c2.link_socket->mtu - datagram_overhead(c->c2.link_socket->info.proto) - c->c2.frame.extra_frame;
+
+         if (c->c1.tuntap->type == DEV_TYPE_TAP)
+           newmtu -= ETH_HLEN;
+
+         msg (D_LINK_ERRORS,
+              "MTU CHANGE EVENT: "
+              "actual_name=%s, "
+              "post_open_mtu=%d, "
+              "link_mtu=%d, "
+              "link_mtu_dynamic=%d, "
+              "new_link_mtu=%d, "
+              "old_tun_mtu=%d, "
+              "new_tun_mtu=%d\n",
+
+              c->c1.tuntap->actual_name,
+              c->c1.tuntap->post_open_mtu,
+              c->c2.frame.link_mtu,
+              c->c2.frame.link_mtu_dynamic,
+              c->c2.link_socket->mtu,
+              c->c2.frame.discovered_tun_mtu,
+              newmtu);
+
+         if (c->c2.frame.discovered_tun_mtu > TUN_MTU_MIN && newmtu >= c->c2.frame.discovered_tun_mtu)
+           newmtu = MAX(TUN_MTU_MIN,c->c2.frame.discovered_tun_mtu-1);
+
+         char buf[1024];
+         snprintf(buf,sizeof(buf),"/sbin/ifconfig %s mtu %d",c->c1.tuntap->actual_name,newmtu);
+         system(buf);
+         c->c2.frame.discovered_tun_mtu = newmtu;
+
+         c->c2.link_socket->info.mtu_changed = false;
+        }

/* indicate activity regarding --inactive parameter */
       register_activity (c, size);
diff --git a/mtu.h b/mtu.h
index 6079bf8..6d0322a 100644
--- a/mtu.h
+++ b/mtu.h
@@ -92,6 +92,7 @@ struct frame {
    */
   int link_mtu;
   int link_mtu_dynamic;
+  int discovered_tun_mtu;

/*

dazo
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by dazo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:54 pm

Thank you for your work! It would be great if you could post this patch to openvpn-devel@lists.sourceforge.net. It would be even better if it's based upon the latest git tree. This would typically fit well into the feat_misc branch we have for feature enhancements in OpenVPN.

Basically, all you need to do (after git is installed) is:

Code: Select all

$ git config --global user.name "Your Name"
$ git config --global user.email your.email@example.com
$ git clone git://openvpn.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/openvpn/openvpn-testing.git
$ cd openvpn-testing
$ git checkout -b feat_misc origin/feat_misc
<<apply your changes>>
$ git add -u
$ git commit -s
$ git format-patch HEAD~1
Then post the 0001-*.patch file generated to the mailing list. When doing the commit, please provide a one line summary first, a blank line and then a decent description of what the patch does and why it does it. And please, don't remove the Signed-off-by: line. In the references below, there are also some tricks how to make git send the mail for you as well.

Your patch will then be reviewed by developers, and when it gets the required ACK, it will be merged into the openvpn-testing code, which will later on be merged into an OpenVPN release.

We encourage people to write patches to OpenVPN, and appreciate all submissions arriving. But we need to get them into the right pipe so that it will get reviewed properly.

More info can be found here:
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... umentation
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... rashCourse
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... umentation

kind regards,

David Sommerseth

ecrist
Forum Team

Post by ecrist » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Perhaps you could post this patch to the developers mailing list so some of the developers could evaluate this and perhaps push it up-stream?
OpenVPN Community Administrator
IRC: #openvpn, #openvpn-devel
Co-Author of Mastering OpenVPN
Author of Troubleshooting OpenVPN

Landy78
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Landy78 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:15 pm

I think you should do the same thing like ecrist said above. Post this patch to the developers mailing list so some of the developers.