OpenVPN AS Migration to New Host - No Outbound Connectivity After Connecting to VPN

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
TeleBrady
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN AS Migration to New Host - No Outbound Connectivity After Connecting to VPN

Post by TeleBrady » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:26 pm

I recently stood up a new OpenVPN AS host in AWS using the official AMI for OpenVPN Access Server 2.11.3. I followed this https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... erver-aws/ guide to backup and migrate old settings over from my OpenVPN AS v2.8.5 host to the new one. At this point the new one seems to be working fine and I can log into the admin console and see that all settings and users were migrated over successfully.

On the last step I disassociate my elastic IP with the old instance and associate it with the new one. After I do this I connect to the new instance using my OpenVPN client and the same profile that I used with the old one. It connects, but then I have no internet connectivity to anywhere, even the UI.

I read there might be some issue with 2.11.3 so I updated to 2.12.3, but it didn't solve the issue. I tried restarting the host after associating the EIP but no change there either.

The instance settings on my new host seem to match the settings on my old host exactly, from the OpenVPN settings to the AWS security groups and subnet. The only difference that I see is the updated applications on the new host and a different internal IP (.227 from .224).

Neither the server nor the client logs show anything immediately abnormal.

Would appreciate any insight or advice into what the problem could be.

TeleBrady
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN AS Migration to New Host - No Outbound Connectivity After Connecting to VPN

Post by TeleBrady » Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:24 pm

OpenVPN Support helped me figure this out with the log files that they requested. After running connectivity tests that were requested by support (just tracert and ping) I saw that the client had no access to DNS while connected to VPN. I checked the security group of my DNS host and noticed that my new VPN appliance was not whitelisted while my old one was. Correcting this resolved the issue. Should've checked that beforehand but I was stuck in my head on this being a OVPN configuration issue / issue with the migration.