Error message: Peer certificate verification failure

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
mobiusmat
OpenVpn Newbie

Error message: Peer certificate verification failure

Post by mobiusmat » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:05 am

So this has occurred for others before but the thread was locked and it referred to Synology nas and Azure.

I have an issue with a site I have a Grandstream router running OpenVPN server that a couple of people VPN to.

It works perfectly on Windows Clients (I'm running 3.3.7 (2979)) and it worked on one staff members Mac recently.

He's just got a new Mac running Apple silicon so I downloaded the latest version that supports Mac Silicon directly but when attempting to connect it gets the error "Peer certificate verification failure". In the thread about Synology they talk about single quotes in the config but the config I'm getting doesn't have the verify-x509-name it talks about.

I install 3.3.3 and it connects and works properly but I can only find (And there probably was only) Intel silicon version so its running with Rosetta Stone and I don't know if that'll cause issues.

This mac is ONLY used to VPN into the office and run a Microsoft Remote Desktop to his office workstation - Not sure why he wanted MAC - Likes Aluminium ??

So I'm picking its similar with the Grandstream router OpenVPN server breaking the rules a little in generating the certificate or config setup or something but I'm at a loss.

I'm temped to get the latest Windows Version and see if it is version related or just something with the Mac silicon version??

Anyone got any ideas.

mobiusmat
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Error message: Peer certificate verification failure

Post by mobiusmat » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:12 am

Just to report back - I have updated the client to the latest on my Windows 11 PC and I'm getting the same error.

Obviously at this point I'll stick with keeping a version of the Windows client and the old MAC client but this is a pain - I'm not pointing the finger specifically at OpenVPN themselves as it sounds like a lot of the Router/NAS openVPN servers are based on the community version(s) so the problem may be their implementation but some pointers would be awesome.

PS - I'm storing installers for the versions that work in the interim.