Renew the CA certificate on openVPN server

Scripts to manage certificates or generate config files

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

chornox
OpenVpn Newbie

Renew the CA certificate on openVPN server

Post by chornox » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:28 am

Hello,

I have openVPN server installed and configured to use a specific CA certificate (which I own) but it will expire soon.

I did renew it from the CA certificate seller but now I have to update the openVPN accounts to use the new one. All certificate accounts are set to 10 years in expiry time.

So I am guessing I just need to replace the root and somehow repoint the created account to use the new certificate?

What I want is to make sure the old ovpn files that were generated using the old CA certificate to continue working.

If you could point me to some documentation I could use or if possible to give me the instructions on how to renew the CA certificate it will be perfect.

My friend did setup the openVPN server a year ago but he is not available now to help me to update it so I am kinda newb at this.

I really appreciate your help and support to point me into the right direction :)

Thank you all in advance,

IncreasedSecurity
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Renew the CA certificate on openVPN server

Post by IncreasedSecurity » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:17 am

Well, the .ovpn config files simply point to the .crt, .key, and other files, so you'll need to replace those files with others of the same name and/or edit the .ovpn files to point to the new files.

You should also build new client certificates to replace the old ones, and do the same with clients.

This is a good opportunity to review your config files in general, since across the board changes to all clients using certificates are required - do you want to change the cipher, auth, or tls-cipher options, or perhaps make other changes?

Example:
If I have

Code: Select all

ca oldCA.crt
cert oldclient763.crt
key oldclient763.key
ns-cert-type server
tls-auth oldta.key 1
cipher AES-128-CBC
auth SHA256
tls-cipher DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA
comp-lzo
Then I can either take the new CA.crt and name it "oldCA.crt", so when I put it in the same directory, the .ovpn doesn't need to change, or I can change the .ovpn and replace "ca oldCA.crt" with "ca newCA.crt", putting "newCA.crt" in place, i.e.

Code: Select all

ca newCA.crt
cert newclient763.crt
key newclient763.key
ns-cert-type server
tls-auth newta.key 1
cipher AES-256-CBC
auth SHA512
tls-cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA
comp-lzo
Note this second option has a distinct advantage - you can do the rollout in two phases. First, distribute newCA.crt, newta.key, the newclientXXX files to all client machines, _then_ distribute the new .ovpn files. If you name the .ovpn files something different also, you can have both available at once, so your client machines can easily use either old or new during a transition period, allowing the server to be updated and/or rolled back as required while not causing major disruption. After the new ones are validated, then the old ones should be deleted.