Annoying Connection Drop Alert

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
dutchsand
OpenVpn Newbie

Annoying Connection Drop Alert

Post by dutchsand » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:46 am

OpenVPN is working fine and I love it. What I hate is when the connection drops (when the iPhone goes to stand by). When I turn the device on, OpenVPN tries to reconnect and keeps replaying an alert repeatedly (usually around 7 times, but today I was stuck for more than 3 minutes trying to bypass the alert) until the connection returns or drops.

How can I block such annoying message?

jamesyonan
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Annoying Connection Drop Alert

Post by jamesyonan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:22 pm

That error isn't coming from the OpenVPN app. It normally comes from iOS if you try to connect a profile from iOS directly, because iOS doesn't know how to do this outside of the OpenVPN app.

Are you using VPN-on-Demand?

James

jamesyonan
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by jamesyonan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:26 pm

I will file a bug report with Apple about this, but please provide some more info:

* iOS version
* expected results
* actual results
* precise steps to reproduce the problem

jamesyonan
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by jamesyonan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:12 am

Also, if you can provide the iOS system logs around the time that the "VPN Connection" dialog box appeared at the initial "slide-to-unlock" screen, that would be great. You can email them to us at ios@openvpn.net

Thanks,
James

dutchsand
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by dutchsand » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:58 pm

Are you using VPN-on-Demand? Don't understand the question but I use the OpenVPN app to connect to my VPN and I just leave it there. I don't disconnect it.

iOS 5.1.1
I have two VPN providers, one uses OpenVPN and another has the L2TP protocol. When I use the L2TP I get the same result. Alert message saying It can't connect to the VPN (connection lost and it's trying to reconnect). Sometimes it reconnects rapidly, other times, not so much. Sometimes the VPN connection just drops and I have to reconnect manually.
The alert message appears once or twice using L2TP. Sometimes the same happens using OpenVPN app. Recently though (happen twice this week), the message constantly appeared don't matter how many times I click OK (using OpenVPN app), the message pop ups again and again until the connection to the VPN is recovered or dropped.

Both OpenVPN app and L2TP works flawlessly while I'm using the iPhone. The problem is when I leave the phone away for 15min (I guess, maybe more) and when I click the home button to use it, I get the message I showed (screenshot).

My iOS version is jailbreaked and I'm afraid I disabled logs in the LaunchDaemon.

Is there any other information I can provide?

fregatte
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by fregatte » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:28 pm

I do have the same issue on an iphone 4 iOS 5.01.

Unfortunately I also had deactivated some daemons so I am not sure if I can get log files.

When the phone goes to sleep and I reactivate it, I had to push several times (sometimes a dozens or so) the ok button to come to my Androidlock XT screen for authorization.

This is very annoying.

fregatte :D :D :D

jamesyonan
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by jamesyonan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Is anyone seeing this issue on a non-jailbroken device?

fregatte
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by fregatte » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:43 pm

From my point of view it is more a question of the iOS (iOS 5.x or 6.x) than the jailbroken environment.

Unfortunately the OPENVPN client is not listed in the list of apps of the notification settings, so I can not suppress the Drop Alert.

For some reason GIZMOVPN seems to handle the alerts / push notifications differentially or tries not to keep the VPN open while at sleep. I can't say.

I found an interesting article about this issue in general.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... s-in-ios-5

dutchsand
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by dutchsand » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 pm

I think it is related to iOS too. Now I'm looking for some cydia app to DISABLE ALERTS and I can't find any. You'll find to disable banner but not alerts.

fregatte
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by fregatte » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:16 pm

I checked in the meantime in a new environment:

iPhone 5 iOS 6.1.2 jailbroken

Same result!

So it seems to be that the criteria "Jailbroken" is one aspect of the issue.

dutchsand
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by dutchsand » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:04 pm

It is possible for developers add OpenVPN alert notifications configuration in Settings?