How to install without client?

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Jennifer2010
OpenVpn Newbie

How to install without client?

Post by Jennifer2010 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:28 am

Hi,

In regards to using OpenVPN or not, I'm curious to know if the software needs to be installed on both sides to create and use a VPN?

I was following this tutorial:
http://www.howtogeek.com/60774/connect- ... nd-tomato/

And it says this:
"In this example we will be using a Windows 7 laptop as our client. The first thing you’ll want to do is install OpenVPN on your client like we did above in the first steps under Configuring OpenVPN."
Is it not possible to set everything up without having to touch another computer? If I bring my computer over to my Mom's house and set everything up via her internet, do I absolutely have to hop on her computer to set up the VPN too, or is there a way to get around installing any software/setting up something on her computer?

Thanks so much,
Jennifer

janjust
Forum Team

Re: How to install without client?

Post by janjust » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:15 am

openvpn requires a client software to be installed. There is no way around that.

Jennifer2010
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Jennifer2010 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:19 am

Thank you for the response. Do all VPN connections require a client to be setup on the other end? Is there not a way to just set up the router wirelessly and use that as the VPN, but not have to install anything on my mom's computer?

janjust
Forum Team

Post by janjust » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:23 am

that's also possible; you can install Linux on some routers (e.g DD-WRT, Tomato) and install OpenvPN on top of that. But in order to establish a VPN both endpoints need to have the right VPN software installed. For OpenVPN, that means running some form of the openvpn software package.

Jennifer2010
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Jennifer2010 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:29 am

Ah okay, so you're saying I'd need to install something additional on the router (linux) and then on linux, install a client software?

janjust
Forum Team

Post by janjust » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:35 am

search the internet for dd-wrt and 'tomato router' : you will find pointers on how to install firmware/software on selected routers (not all routers support it) that includes OpenVPN support.

Jennifer2010
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Jennifer2010 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:09 am

Thank you for your responses :)