Better VPN performance for VMWare

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
solignis
OpenVpn Newbie

Better VPN performance for VMWare

Post by solignis » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to make my VPN more efficient for my VMWare admin software.

What I mean is the VMWare vSphere client has a lot of lag in it and I want to know what I can do to my VPN to reduce some of the lag is the system.

I am running OpenVPN 2.1RC19 on Windows XP w/SP3 for my server, and my only client at the moment is a Vista Ultimate x64 SP2 with the same version of OpenVPN as the server.

As an attempt to improve performance I tried switching to TCP, that seemed to help a little bit even despite the overhead it generates. I added a QOS rule to my firewall also, and I switched from AES 128 to Blowfish. I was always told that blowfish is a little bit "lighter weight" than AES or 3DES.

Is there anything else I can do or something I should not have done?

ecrist
Forum Team

Re: Better VPN performance for VMWare

Post by ecrist » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:18 pm

I would recommend not using TCP for the VPN if you can help it. As you've already indicated you're aware, there is a considerable amount of overhead added when one is tunneling TCP within TCP.

One thing you may be able to do is run the MTU test. Simply add --mtu-test to the command options and the logs will indicated an optimal MTU setting. From there, there is not much more you can do.
OpenVPN Community Administrator
IRC: #openvpn, #openvpn-devel
Co-Author of Mastering OpenVPN
Author of Troubleshooting OpenVPN

athenaz
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Better VPN performance for VMWare

Post by athenaz » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:24 am

How to find out if a VPN 3000 Series Concentrator has been configed correctly? This is my first time working on a VPN 3000 Series Concentrator and im trying to see if it configed correctly but no really sure how to find out if it is or not, plus I'm wanting to create redundant VPNs if the main VPN for one site goes down, another concentrator will pick up that down VPN and bring it back up. Need help ASAP !!!!