hi newbie here please help (blocked port)

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
naruto731
OpenVpn Newbie

hi newbie here please help (blocked port)

Post by naruto731 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:01 am

ah i'm using openvpn to connect in hostizzle, one of my vpn providers... i've been using it for 5 months straight, but consequently here in the Philippines, one of the ISP networks have blocked ports using my VPN service which they've reason out that some users are abusing it... so they blocked the ports... particularly port 80. Some have tried an alternative to my vpn provider to access the ISP network from port 80 by editing some configuration with the openvpn file but when i'm using it, it only reconnects, we have both same OS, Windows Vista SP2, and same ISP Provider.. is there any solution, or help... thanks... and also port 443 and port 1194 is not compatible with the IP provider... so only we can connect in port 80

some users add "local 0.0.0.0" and change the "nobind" to "bind" in order to connect, and they are flushing the DNS and re-register the same.... and they successfully connect. When i try it though, it would connect, but then can't browse, sometimes it would only restart and restart.

here's my former configuration:
client
dev tun
proto tcp
remote 76.10.222.65 80
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
tls-auth ta.key 1
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
key client.key
ns-cert-type server

#DNS Options here, CHANGE THESE !!

comp-lzo
verb 3
ping-restart 10
route-gateway dhcp
redirect-gateway def1
and my edited config after, connects but can't browse (sometimes restarts all the time connection unsuccessful)
client
dev tun
proto tcp
remote 76.10.222.65 80
resolv-retry infinite
bind
persist-key
persist-tun
tls-auth ta.key 1
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
key client.key
ns-cert-type server

#DNS Options here, CHANGE THESE !!
local 0.0.0.0
register-dns

comp-lzo
verb 3
ping-restart 10
route-gateway dhcp
redirect-gateway def1
some techies also comment to remove the "ROUTE-GATEWAY DHCP" but it also failed

thanks to those who could help me... they had the way to bypass the blocked port... by using the aformentioned configurations...

janjust
Forum Team

Re: hi newbie here please help (blocked port)

Post by janjust » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:09 pm

post the client config when the connection fails - it's impossible to tell what is going on.

Also, if it works sometimes and other times it doesn't then it seems the ISP is not blocking VPN traffic very well - adding things like 'bind' and 'local 0.0.0.0' certainly won't have any effect on that.

Douglas
Forum Team

Re: hi newbie here please help (blocked port)

Post by Douglas » Mon May 16, 2011 3:15 am

Moved to proper place.