Broadcasts on LAN to VPN clients

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
leaskovski
OpenVpn Newbie

Broadcasts on LAN to VPN clients

Post by leaskovski » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi all,

I have a raspberry pi that I have setup following the instructions in this tutorial...

http://readwrite.com/2014/04/10/rasp...e-web-browsing

I use it for when I am out and about and need to make sure my network traffic is secure, plus a uk IP for Sky Go, and plus to access the NAS on the home network (which is using the same piece of kit via samba).

According to that article, the server setup I have is this...

https://gist.github.com/laurenorsini/9925434

This tells me that I have OpenVPN setup as a Tunnel and not a Bridge.

Now my problem is that I have MiniDNLA running on the same rig (on the pi) to allow me to use my TV to watch videos and photos that are all stored on the connected disk (which is basically the NAS). I can use my Phone and Tablet to VPN back on to the network and then use BubbleUPNP to view those files, however when connected via the VPN, the client doesn't get the broadcasts from the MiniDLNA server and thus the Server doesn't show in the client and I can't view my media when connected via the VPN. It all works fine when connected to the local network when at home.

So, I guess it is because the broadcast of the MiniDNLA server broadcasts isn't getting pumped over on to the different subnet which VPN clients get connected on.

What is the best way to solve this? Change the IP subnet that the VPN clients gets assigned to be the same subnet as locally connected clients?

Any ideas?

Thanks

maikcat
Forum Team

Re: Broadcasts on LAN to VPN clients

Post by maikcat » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:32 am

broadcasts pass only when using tap interface,thus you have 2 choices:

1)use openvpn on pi and use bridging

2)use openvpn on NAS itself and use tap in routing mode.

Michael.

Traffic
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by Traffic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:13 am

maikcat wrote:1)use openvpn on pi and use bridging
Documentation:
  • Note: The "linuxscript" requires that you add default gateway yourself.

leaskovski
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by leaskovski » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:21 pm

OK, so I have successfully setup a bridge and tested the connection using a windows machine on a separate network. That works fine.

Next problem is,vthat I am using an android device. Openvpn on android doesn't support this setup.

Any ideas?