Firewall forwarding problem with OpenVPN...I guess !

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

pepsidrinker
OpenVpn Newbie

Firewall forwarding problem with OpenVPN...I guess !

Post by pepsidrinker » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi guys ,
Thanks for reading this post .

I'm pretty sure i'm not the first having this problem, but can't seems to find an answer anywehre...

So here it is :
I set up my DIR-601 (a d-link router) with OpenWRT (bleeding edge, r28007) as an OpenVPN Client:

The router successfully connect to the OpenVPN server, no problem.
The router is told by the OpenVPN server to redirect every traffic to the VPN tunnel.
From the router , i can ping the internet, or do whatever I want, everything is fine
I can even confirm form the server that all traffic is going through the VPN Tunnel.

But as for the client connected to the router , they cant see any of the internet side when the VPN tunnel is up & running...
If I turn off the OpenVPN tunnel in the router, then eveything works...
As if the forwarding to device TUN0 wasnt allowed...

Any toughts on that problem ?

Thanks a lot !
Pepsidrinker

Bebop
Forum Team

Re: Firewall forwarding problem with OpenVPN...I guess !

Post by Bebop » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:00 am

Check this, see if any steps you might not have yet covered:

Scripting and Customizations » Routing and Firewall Scripts » IPTABLES secure Internet tunnel

Although I do admit, its not geared towards a OpenWRT router, I am assuming that the OpenWRT requires iptables etc.
The cure for boredom is curiosity

Douglas
Forum Team

Re: Firewall forwarding problem with OpenVPN...I guess !

Post by Douglas » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Bebop wrote:Check this, see if any steps you might not have yet covered:

Scripting and Customizations » Routing and Firewall Scripts » IPTABLES secure Internet tunnel

Although I do admit, its not geared towards a OpenWRT router, I am assuming that the OpenWRT requires iptables etc.
Unless I'm out of it from waking up 5 minutes ago, it sounds like he is missing a route or 2...