How to manually add a static route for OpenVPN on W7 clients

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
AMG
OpenVpn Newbie

How to manually add a static route for OpenVPN on W7 clients

Post by AMG » Thu May 19, 2011 7:11 pm

I have had OpenVPN working perfectly where the server is running on my Linux server and the client is my Windows 7 workstation. I have a router with DD-WRT on it and I port forward 1194 to the Linux box as well as an option in DD-WRT as defined below:

In DD-WRT I do have the "Advanced Routing" option labeled as "VPN" and I have it setup with:
metric 0
destination lan = 192.168.201.0
subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
gateway = 192.168.200.99
interface = lan/wan

The problem I have now is that instead of having the router as the DD-WRT router, I now have an AT&T U-Verse router that I have to use. I tried piggy-backing the other router on the back but it just turned in to a nightmare. I had everything working using the port forwarding on the AT&T, except that I cannot add the route, as it is not an option in the AT&T router. I am the only client connecting, so I dont mind having to have some kind of a post script to execute to add a route. How can I do this? Is it possible or MUST it be done on the router as I have been doing in the past?

janjust
Forum Team

Re: How to manually add a static route for OpenVPN on W7 cli

Post by janjust » Thu May 19, 2011 10:26 pm

the route on the dd-wrt box was required to ensure that the dd-wrt router knew about the existence of the VPN IPs; if that is no longer possible using the new router then modify your vpn server config to

Code: Select all

iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
This will make all traffic to the router to appear as if it were coming from the openvpn server itself.

AMG
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: How to manually add a static route for OpenVPN on W7 cli

Post by AMG » Thu May 19, 2011 11:01 pm

that works. thank you!