Setting up a windows server

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
JBOpenVPNJB
OpenVpn Newbie

Setting up a windows server

Post by JBOpenVPNJB » Sun May 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi, I am brand new to OpenVPN and please let me know if I should be in a different forum.

I want to setup an OpenVPN server with a remote Virtual Machine that I buy from a provider and then I want to route all my traffic through the server from home.

What is the best/easiest way to setup an OpenVPN server? Is there a GUI that can easily configure a server for me? I can purchase the VM in Windows Server 2003/08 or any version of Linux. I am trying to get this setup one step at a time, but I would like some advice on the minimum requirements for a server of this nature and if those requirements are any different on Windows Server vs. Linux. I find windows more intuitive as I am unfamiliar with Linux and I will also have remote desktop access with Windows, so if all else is equal I will probably go with Windows.

My main fear at this point is trying to configure a server and I am hoping there is a GUI for this purpose somewhere in the world! Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer!

edit: I have been looking at the OpenVPN Access Server on this site but I can't seem to find if this will help with initial configuration or if it is just to maintain.

Douglas
Forum Team

Re: Setting up a windows server

Post by Douglas » Mon May 16, 2011 3:06 am

JBOpenVPNJB wrote:Hi, I am brand new to OpenVPN and please let me know if I should be in a different forum.

I want to setup an OpenVPN server with a remote Virtual Machine that I buy from a provider and then I want to route all my traffic through the server from home.

What is the best/easiest way to setup an OpenVPN server? Is there a GUI that can easily configure a server for me? I can purchase the VM in Windows Server 2003/08 or any version of Linux. I am trying to get this setup one step at a time, but I would like some advice on the minimum requirements for a server of this nature and if those requirements are any different on Windows Server vs. Linux. I find windows more intuitive as I am unfamiliar with Linux and I will also have remote desktop access with Windows, so if all else is equal I will probably go with Windows.

My main fear at this point is trying to configure a server and I am hoping there is a GUI for this purpose somewhere in the world! Thanks so much in advance for any help you can offer!

edit: I have been looking at the OpenVPN Access Server on this site but I can't seem to find if this will help with initial configuration or if it is just to maintain.
There is no GUI for the open source.

If you spend two minutes snooping around the page, you'd find: http://openvpn.net/howto

There is no support here for access server; if you have questions, you have to use other means of getting in touch with the administrators of openvpn access server.