tunneling

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

agoenk
OpenVpn Newbie

tunneling

Post by agoenk » Thu May 12, 2011 2:51 pm

hi all,
Anyone know the concept of tunneling OpenVPN?

during the formation of tunneling, anything that is added to the IP header?
if anything, the picture also ...

please help,
thanks

krzee
Forum Team

Re: tunneling

Post by krzee » Fri May 13, 2011 3:39 pm

http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-sourc ... rview.html

i moved this topic from wishlist to off-topic / related

Sindri5
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Sindri5 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:45 am

What are the advantages of this OpenSSH VPN method over using OpenVPN? OpenVPN is easy to setup in PSK mode, and with the wrapper scripts certificate mode isn't much harder. OpenVPN also supports IP over UDP or TCP. UDP is usually the better choice. OpenVPN can easily be configured for extruded intranet mode where all clear text Internet traffic passes through the VPN first. The config for the OpenSSH VPN is messy in comparison.

I am trying to imagine a scenario when an OpenSSH VPN would be better than an OpenVPN tunnel. The only one I can think of is when the outbound firewall has been viciously locked down to allow port 22 only. In that case I would be tempted to just run OpenVPN on port 22.

Jarrel92
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Jarrel92 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:03 am

Hi,
I want use my browser to connect on my corporate intranet via VPN connection, but I'm not able to do it.

Someone can help me?

Some information:
I tried 2 way to confgure OpenVPN:

1) I've configured OpenVPN via openvpn-settings apps (using pre-created cert files located on <rootsdcard>/openvpn ).
The .ovpn config files sound like

port yyyy
dev tun
# dev-node ovpn
proto tcp-client
remote xxx1.xxxx.it yyyy
remote xxx2.xxxx.it yyyy
remote xxx3.xxxx.it jjj
remote xxx4.xxxx.it jjj
ping 30

persist-tun
persist-key

tls-client
ca xxx.ca.crt
cert xxx.aaaa.bbbb.crt
key xxx.aaaa.bbbb.key

ns-cert-type server
comp-lzo
pull
verb 5

I connect to VPN with no problems, and I can use for example ssh to connect on my corporate linux server.

2) I've created a VPN from Menu->Settings-> Wireless & network-> VPN settings -> add VPN-> add VPN OpenVPN

and set parameters according with previous .ovpn config file
I connect also to VPN with no problems, and I can use for example ssh to connect on my corporate linux server.

On both cases I'm not able to browse intranet. So I checked the IP address I go out with, pointing to h**p://m.showip.net/, and It display my provider IP, not assigned VPN IP!
It can be that VPN don't tunnel all traffic? Maybe I need to change the default gateway?
I'm confused

My O.S. is Android 2.3.7
kernel 2.6.35.14-nFinity
ROM Cyanogenmod 7.1.0.1 stable
Phone HTC Wildfire (Buzz)