How do I configure OpenVPN as a Gateway client for Witopia?

Scripts with setup, destroy, and modify routing tables and firewall rulesets for client connections.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Helo
OpenVpn Newbie

How do I configure OpenVPN as a Gateway client for Witopia?

Post by Helo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:08 pm

I have the following setup:
* Witopia SSL account
* Synology 409 NAS (with OpenVPN and Apache etc)
* PS3
* Mac
* Apple AirPort router (configured for NAT)

Internet
|
Router (192.168.0.1)
|
|--NAS
|--Mac
|--PS3

Requirements:
1. The NAS should handle the VPN connection with Witopia.
2. All connections originating outside the Router and who are routed to the NAS or Mac should reach its target. Nothing originating from outside should enter the VPN tunnel.
3. All connections that originates behind the router and are "aimed specificly" at the NAS should reach it and not be hijacked by the VPN tuinnel.(NFS, SBM, HTTP etc)
4. Connections that originates from applications on the NAS and terminates anywhere outside the router should go through the VPN tunnel.
5. All connections from PS3 that terminates outside router should go through the tunnel. Connections from PS3 to NAS (SMB, NFS, DLNA etc) should not go through the tunnel, but be served by the NAS.

Is this possible with the hardware that I already have? How and where should I configure it?

/BE

gladiatr72
Forum Team

Re: How do I configure OpenVPN as a Gateway client for Witop

Post by gladiatr72 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:38 pm

I guess I'm not understanding--I did a search for the Synology 409. The sales info I see on that unit is that it's a network-attached storage device. It runs apache and openvpn? Really?

-S
[..]I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. [...]Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? -Marcus Cole

EnglishmaninNY
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by EnglishmaninNY » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Helo,

I'm not sure I understand all of the requirements you've listed but I think I'm trying to do the same thing but using Identity Cloaker instead of Witopia.

I have the following:
- Synology DS210j
- NETGEAR GS105
- Motorola Surfboard SBG901
- Identity Cloaker subscription
- PS3
- Laptop (his and hers)
- and no doubt some other internet devices yet to come...

I've also managed to setup squid cache proxy server on the NAS and my original thought was get the VPN on the NAS and then hopefully anything which uses the proxy would be tunneled. Having read around a little it sounds like I can come up with a much more robust solution.

Here's a link to the post I've put on other related forums:
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=6017
http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 14&t=28299

EnglishmaninNY
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by EnglishmaninNY » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Helo,

Its not perfect but I think Carl Tyler post, "Setting up a UK Wireless network in the US", will put you in the right direction:

http://www.iminstant.com/iminstant/iminstant.nsf

It seems with witopia you do not need to worry about parsing your username and password where as this is a limitation for Identity Cloaker.

gladiatr72 - Yeah it is a NAS. It runs a linux system. OpenVPN is not a supported program however synology make it relatively easy to mod your box so that you can run unsupported 3rd party software.