newbie question about dhcp

How to customize and extend your OpenVPN installation.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

baysat
OpenVpn Newbie

newbie question about dhcp

Post by baysat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:13 pm

I have the following setup:

on a remote site a notebook connects via http access website to a wlan router. (similar to hotel-access)
the wlan router connects using opvn to a combined access/firewall system which enables access to another network or internet
Access system hands out IP adresses to notebook via dhcp and manages access for this particular user including logging
in other words, its a kind of remote access system to track and log user access to another network via access codes on a website

my problem is, that I can not figure out how the config ovpn file has to look like on both sides in order to make sure that only the access system is in charge for DHCP IP adresses.
any hints that may even point to a premade config etc. are helpful
"Truth and Technology will triumph over Bullshit and Bureaucracy" by Rene Anselmo (Founder of PANAMSAT)

gladiatr72
Forum Team

Re: newbie question about dhcp

Post by gladiatr72 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:12 pm

Hrm... It looks like the only really important bit is...
Access system hands out IP adresses to notebook via dhcp
It sounds like you want (what I call colloquially) a headless vpn bridge--one where OpenVPN does not hand out client IP configuration info.

You can do this with a typical bridge configuration (see the how-to's on openvpn.net) using the tls-server directive rather than server-bridge. Then, when your client connects, it will send it's dhcp broadcast, your dhcp server will catch it--gnomes will dance and bunnies will shoot rainbows out of their... well, anyway.

-Stephen
[..]I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. [...]Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? -Marcus Cole