Certificates from Microsoft CA

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
mjpedras
OpenVpn Newbie

Certificates from Microsoft CA

Post by mjpedras » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:38 am

Hi there,

This is my scenario:

I have installed a fresh openvpn instalation on one debian, created the self signed certificates from openssl to the server and to de client (is a Windows7). Starred the server openvpn and I try to connect to the VPN.
That worked fine.

Now I've installed a Microsoft CA and issued a new certificate for the openvpn server (for testing purposes I've issued a "any purpose" template to the certificate), starred the openvpn on the debian machine with the new certificate from the Microsoft CA and the openvpn server with no errors.

When I try to connect from the windows 7 to the server openvpn I can see this error message:
"VERIFY ERROR: depth=0, error=unsupported certificate purpose: /C=ES/ST=Madrid/L=Madrid/O=XXX/OU=Tecnico/CN=XXX/emailAddress=xxx@xxx"

What I doing wrong with the Microsoft CA?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

krzee
Forum Team

Re: Certificates from Microsoft CA

Post by krzee » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:19 pm

your server and client need to be using (and signed by) the same CA