android 10 dns resolution issue

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
thenozzle
OpenVpn Newbie

android 10 dns resolution issue

Post by thenozzle » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:09 am

Hey all - got the following problem - The client connects just fine, I set the dns server through setprop net.dns1 192.168.2.1 (which I can ping with the terminal app and I can ping any valid host on the internet using the internal dns server pushed by the vpn) , however none of the apps seem to be able to resolve anything . I can ping only from the terminal (and everything works as expected) .. however dns is broken everywhere else ... the only other part I can think of is the private dns option which at this time is off ..

The openvpn server I am using is whatever came with freshtomato router firmware - again - no issues server side. I can ping back and forth to the connected client .

the openvpn client is the latest and the greatest from the play store running on rooted android 10 ..

Thanks for any help .

Fadim
OpenVPN User

Re: android 10 dns resolution issue

Post by Fadim » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:45 am

Try enabling the private DNS option and setting it to 'Automatic' to see if this resolves the issue. Also, check your VPN settings to ensure it's configured to handle all network traffic. Since your device is rooted, consider using a different DNS management app or manually setting DNS settings for each network interface. Lastly, double-check if there's any specific setting in the freshtomato firmware affecting DNS resolution.