Syncing/login of OneDrive, iCloud for Outlook, Microsoft store only via OpenVPN possible

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
jk23
OpenVpn Newbie

Syncing/login of OneDrive, iCloud for Outlook, Microsoft store only via OpenVPN possible

Post by jk23 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:43 am

Hello Community,

some of my microsoft (OneDrive, Microsoft store and activation of newly installed Office products) and non-microsoft software (Outlook plugin of iCloud) doesn't login or sync without my computer being connected to my universities VPN service.

The problem dates back to the beginning, when i got my computer about 5 years ago, but didn't bother me as I didn't use the store and Outlook plugin often.

Recently I moved my OneDrive/Office from a business account (not related to my university) to a new personal account since then also my office won't sync without being connected to my universities VPN instead saying there is now internet connection (0x800704cf). There is no problem with the internet conection as i can access website etc.. I also tried to connect via a different personal VPN-Service (NordVPN) which didn't work either so I figure there has to be some Issue with the configuration on how some software connects to the internet/is allowed only to connect through the service of my university.

My system is a personal one so I have all administrator rights, the universities VPN runs through OpenVPN GUI v11.9.0.0, and the system runs Microsoft Win 10 Pro 10.0.19045 Build 19045.

I already tried reinstalling office and run regular system updates which didn't help and am a little hesitant to do so with OpenVPN because of concern that i cannot get it to work again (I recently quit there so they might not be happy to send a new certifificate for login etc.).

Hope there is someone who might have an Idea!

Thanks in advance