Two OpenVPN Servers Concurrently?

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
Kajetan
OpenVpn Newbie

Two OpenVPN Servers Concurrently?

Post by Kajetan » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:56 pm

Hello, we have been using the OpenVPN capabilities of a Ubiquity EdgeRouter. Stability was great but the performance was very much lacking. We recently bought a Netgate 6100 (official pfSense box) as a replacement. To facilitate a smooth transition, I’m trying to get both OpenVPN servers running at the same time. Each router has it’s own external IP address. I can get each router to function, but not at the same time. I’m able to connect to both OpenVPN servers at the same time however on the new one I can’t reach anything on the LAN. It looks like to me that any LAN host must have its gateway set to the router/server that OpenVPN connections are coming from. What I mean is if I set my gateway on a hoist to the new VPN, then I’m able to reach that host from the new VPN. At this point however I can’t reach the host in question from the original OpenVPN.

Is it doable to have both OpenVPN servers running at the same time and then migrate each user to the new setup over the span of a few days? What’s the best practice for migrating OpenVPN servers?

Thanks.

Kajetan
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Two OpenVPN Servers Concurrently?

Post by Kajetan » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:58 pm

Gentle bump. Anyone?