It is possible to configure that the commonName of the certificate have to be equal to the LDAP login name ?

Scripts which allow the use of special authentication methods (LDAP, AD, MySQL/PostgreSQL, etc).

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

tmdd
OpenVpn Newbie

It is possible to configure that the commonName of the certificate have to be equal to the LDAP login name ?

Post by tmdd » Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:38 pm

Sorry, if this is a simple question, but I couldn't find the sollution.

I use the following lines to let the server check for a valid SSL certificate AND a valid OpenLDAP authentification:

plugin /usr/lib/openvpn/openvpn-auth-ldap.so /etc/auth-ldap.conf
verify-client-cert require
username-as-common-name

It works fine, the OpenVPN server only allows clients with a valid certificate and a valid LDAP account.
But OpenVPN does not stop the connection if the commonName of the certificate is different from the OpenLDAP login name.

So for example Alice can use the certificate from Bob and use here login alice to start the connection.
On the server there are messages like:
... alice/10.11.12.13:12345 MULTI: bad source address from client [10.11.12.13:], packet dropped
but the connection is still active.

Is there any way to make OpenVPN stop connections when the commonName of the certificate is not equal to the LDAP login name ?

tmdd
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: It is possible to configure that the commonName of the certificate have to be equal to the LDAP login name ?

Post by tmdd » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:49 am

I have successfully tried the following configuration:

Code: Select all

verify-client-cert require
auth-user-pass-verify /etc/openvpn/auth-ldap-with-pam.pl via-file
script-security 3
and copied and patched the perl script to: /etc/openvpn/auth-ldap-with-pam.pl

Code: Select all

# cp -a /usr/share/doc/openvpn/examples/sample-scripts/auth-pam.pl /etc/openvpn/auth-ldap-with-pam.pl
# cp -a /etc/openvpn/auth-ldap-with-pam.pl /etc/openvpn/auth-ldap-with-pam.pl.org
# vim /etc/openvpn/auth-ldap-with-pam.pl
# diff -c /etc/openvpn/auth-ldap-with-pam.pl /etc/openvpn/auth-ldap-with-pam.pl.org
*** /etc/openvpn/auth-ldap-with-pam.pl	Fri Jun 23 09:16:44 2023
--- /etc/openvpn/auth-ldap-with-pam.pl.org	Wed Dec 15 06:33:53 2021
*** 76,91 ****

close (UPFILE);

- # check if the Common Name from the certificate is equal to the login name
- my $cn=$ENV{X509_0_CN};
- if ( "$username" ne "$cn" ) {
- 	print "ERROR OpenVPN login: the X509_0_CN '".$cn."' from the certificate is not equal to the login '".$username."' for the PAM authentication\n";
- 	exit 1;
- }
- else {
- 	print "DEBUG: the X509_0_CN '".$cn."' from the certificate was equal to the login '".$username."' for the PAM authentication\n";
- }
- 
  # Initialize PAM object

if (!ref($pamh = new Authen::PAM($service, $username, \&my_conv_func))) {
--- 76,81 ----
# 
But this is using an authentification agains PAM and writes the login and password temporaerly in a text file, which is a security risk.
If anybody knows a better method (without "auth-user-pass-verify "), write it here please. Thanks.