Windows fails to bridge OpenVPN connection

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
tristan
OpenVpn Newbie

Windows fails to bridge OpenVPN connection

Post by tristan » Mon May 22, 2023 11:24 am

I am working on a project which involves setting up a handful of computers on a closed network. This is proving difficult as the client doesn’t want to use vpn routers.

AWS OpenVPN access server will be used to connect sites 1 and 2.
Site 1 – [A] Windows PC with 2 ethernet
Eth1, internet connection.
Eth 2, [X] hardware device running web server.

Site 2, Windows PC with 2 ethernet
Eth1, internet connection.
Eth 2, [Y] laptop running chrome.

The client wants [A] [Y] to be able to connect to a web server running on [X].
Using the OpenVPN client I can connect sites [A] & so they are able to communicate.
At site 2 I shared the connection so [Y] can now connect to [A] & .
The problem is that [Y] needs to be able to connect to [X] and if I share the connection, I will not be able to route across. I have also tried to bridge but this only allows [A] to connect to [X] but and [Y] fail.

Mustoom
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Windows fails to bridge OpenVPN connection

Post by Mustoom » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:13 am

Instead of using VPN routers, you can manually configure static routes on the Windows PCs to enable communication between the devices. On both [A] and [Y], add a static route to the subnet where [X] is located, specifying the gateway IP as the internal IP address of [A]. This will allow [Y] to route its traffic through [A] to reach [X].

Install a proxy server on [A] that will act as an intermediary between [Y] and [X]. [Y] will communicate with the proxy server running on [A], and [A] will forward the requests to [X]. This way, you won't need to share the connection on [A], and [Y] will be able to connect to [X] through the proxy.

If you have control over the network router at site 1, you can set up port forwarding to allow external access to [X]. Configure the router to forward incoming traffic on a specific port to the internal IP address of [X]. Then [Y] can connect to [X] using the external IP address of site 1 and the forwarded port.

Implement a reverse proxy on [A] that will receive incoming requests from [Y] and redirect them to [X]. A reverse proxy can also handle SSL termination and other security features. Myjdfaccount.com

You can use SSH tunneling to create a secure connection between [Y] and [X] through [A]. On [A], set up an SSH server, and on [Y], create an SSH tunnel that forwards traffic to the web server [X] through [A].

If [X] and [Y] are running on separate hardware devices, consider virtualizing both [X] and [Y] on [A]. This way, both [X] and [Y] will run as virtual machines on [A], and you can configure their network connections accordingly.