Advices to connect two NAS placed at two different locations

Next-generation cloud-hosted OpenVPN business solution.
Hogion
OpenVpn Newbie

Advices to connect two NAS placed at two different locations

Post by Hogion » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:25 am

Hi Everyone,

I have begun to configure Cloudconnexa to connect two NAS that are now connected to the same physical network (19.168.1.0/24). One of the NAS (NAS#1) is used as backup server. The other NAS (NAS#2) connects to the previous one for backups. My target is to move the NAS#1 to another location and configure Cloudconnexa so that NAS#2 can still backup to NAS#1 throuh a VPN.

I have up to now made the following steps in Cloudconnexa:
  • Creation of one network ("myprivatenetwork")
  • Cration of one connector for NAS#1.
  • NAS#1 has been configured and now connects to the "myprivatenetwork". NAS#1 has 100.96.1.18 as IP address
  • Routing is anabled on NAS#1
  • Creation of one application with following domain : nas01.myprivate.network
As my knowledge in network configuration is relatively limited, I need some advices and, eventually, some explanations for further configuration of "myprivatenetwork" in Cloudconnexa and on my NAS#2 to achieve my goal. Unfortunately, key terms like IP services, hosts and routes are confusing to me and I don't know how to proceed with the network configuration and the NAS#2 configuration. Shoul I create a connector on NAS#2 or considere it as device?

May I ask you to give me some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Hogion

Hogion
OpenVpn Newbie

SOLVED: Advices to connect two NAS placed at two different locations

Post by Hogion » Thu May 18, 2023 10:39 am

Hi Everyone,

I have made another configuration as follow:
  • Creation of a new network with a single server with rhe wizard. NAS#1 is the host on which the connecter is configured.
  • NAS#2 is configurated as client.
The backup from NAS#2 to NAS#1 has worked once ( :arrow: subject marked solved) but I'm facing some problems with the stability of the connexion of NAS#1 to the virtual network. I'm working on it.

To be continued ...

Hogion

Hogion
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Advices to connect two NAS placed at two different locations

Post by Hogion » Sun May 21, 2023 10:14 am

Hi Everyone,
Hogion wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 10:39 am
The backup from NAS#2 to NAS#1 has worked once ( :arrow: subject marked solved) but I'm facing some problems with the stability of the connexion of NAS#1 to the virtual network. I'm working on it.
The unstabilty of the VPN connection is due to the firmware version of my old NAS (Synology 112+ running under DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 7).

I have found a workaroud here : https://blog.harrier.us/reconnecting-a- ... logy-dsm-6. It works fine.

Now my two NAS are connected to the VPN network and can communicate together.

Hogion