can't connect to upgraded 23.01 netgate

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
bcanet
OpenVpn Newbie

can't connect to upgraded 23.01 netgate

Post by bcanet » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:04 pm

I am able to connect to my older device that is running 2.4.4 pfsense with my windows 7 computer and my android phone. Set up a slightly newer device and upgraded it to pfsense 23.01 and am able to connect with my android phone but windows 7 computer gives an error and won't even try to connect.

Current state: failed to connect

IService> OpenVPN exited with error: exit code = 1
IService> Check the log file for details

Log file
Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in pfSenseK-UDP4-1194-config.ovpn:4: data-ciphers (2.4.12)
Use --help for more information.

Through Netgate support as suggested I have tried upgrading the OpenVPN on my computer from 2.4.12 to 2.6.1 and got the same state and error messages and was unable to connect to either device even the one I was able to connect to with the older version. I was told that I needed to uninstall all OpenVPN and start from scratch and had the same results and was told it was a problem with the TUN/TAP. So I tried installing 2.6.1 on a windows 10 computer that had never had OpenVPN installed on it ever and got the same results and was unable to connect to either device.

Has anyone experienced this issue or have any idea what the issue may be?

bcanet
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: can't connect to upgraded 23.01 netgate

Post by bcanet » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:34 am

Update

I have been able to resolve my issue and connect through windows. The things that I changed are when exporting client I enabled the check box for Legacy Client because I am only using OpenVPN 2.4.12 as mentioned in my thread above when I tried updating to 2.6 it wouldn't connect to an older firmware Netgate box and I am waiting until I am on site to upgrade it. Also when exporting the client under Client Export instead of exporting the Config File Only under Bundled Configurations I used Most Clients under Inline Configurations. This solved my issues and am now able to connect with my Windows 7 computer.