TRYing to EnableVPN service

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

AlpineKid73
OpenVpn Newbie

TRYing to EnableVPN service

Post by AlpineKid73 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:56 pm

I am using a Netgear router R7000P and am trying to put a VPN on my computer.
I am a novice at this. Can I get some help, please.

I am using Windows 11 PRO.

I have followed this ‘How do I enable the VPN feature on my NETGEAR router using a Windows computer?’, see below.
I did the part ‘To enable the VPN feature: from #1 to #8 where I installed OpenVPN-2.6.0-1005-amd64.
Now I am at #16.
Number 17, Unzip the configuration files that you downloaded and copy them to a folder where the VPN client is installed on your device.
I copied the files to here, For a client device running 64-bit Windows, the VPN client is installed at C:\Programfiles\OpenVPN\config\ by default.
Now I am confused with #18 - For client devices with Windows, modify the VPN interface name to NETGEAR-VPN:
a. On your computer, go to the Networks page. Where is this?? In Control Panel does not have this. In Settings > System > Network & internet > Ethernet it does not have this.
If you are using Windows 10, select Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet.
If you are using Windows 7, select Start > Control Panel > View network status and tasks.
b. Select Change adapter settings.

How do I know if the VPN is working?

How can it be tested?

This is from NETGEAR,
How do I enable the VPN feature on my NETGEAR router using a Windows computer?

A virtual private network (VPN) lets you use the Internet to securely access your network remotely. You must install the Open VPN software on each Windows computer that you plan to use for VPN connections to your router. VPN uses a Dynamic DNS account to connect with your router. You must enable Dynamic DNS before enabling the VPN feature. For more information about enabling Dynamic DNS, see How to setup Dynamic DNS on a NETGEAR router using www.no-ip.com.
To enable the VPN feature:
1. Launch an Internet browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router’s network.
2. Enter http://www.routerlogin.net. A login window opens.
3. Enter the router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home screen displays.
4. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > VPN Service.
The VPN Service page displays.
5. Select the Enable VPN Service check box and click Apply.
6. Specify any VPN service settings on the page.
7. Click For Windows to download the OpenVPN configuration files.
8. Visit http://openvpn.net/index.php/download/c ... loads.html to download the OpenVPN client utility.
9. In the Windows Installer section of the page, double-click the openVPN-install-xxx.exe link.
10. To download and install the Open VPN software on your computer, click the openVPN-install-xxx.exe file.
11. Click Next.
12. Read the License Agreement and click I Agree.
13. Leave the checked boxes selected and click Next.
14. To specify the destination folder, click Browse and select the destination folder.
15. Click Install.
The window displays the progress of the installation and displays the final installation page.
16. Click Finish.
17. Unzip the configuration files that you downloaded and copy them to a folder where the VPN client is installed on your device.
For a client device running 64-bit Windows, the VPN client is installed at C:\Programfiles\OpenVPN\config\ by default.
18. For client devices with Windows, modify the VPN interface name to NETGEAR-VPN:
a. On your computer, go to the Networks page.
If you are using Windows 10, select Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Ethernet.
If you are using Windows 7, select Start > Control Panel > View network status and tasks.
b. Select Change adapter settings.
c. In the local area connection list, find the local area connection with the device name TAP-Windows Adapter.
d. Select the local area connection and change its name (not its device name) to NETGEAR-VPN.
If you don't change the VPN interface name, the VPN tunnel connection fails.

Last Updated:12/02/2022 | Article ID: 23854

shovel
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: TRYing to EnableVPN service

Post by shovel » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:13 pm

Hi 'Kid
I have been setting up a Netgear router based VPN recently, so I hope I can help you. I have had a VPN for a few years, but recently switched to a mesh router from Netgear, which has a few differences from my old R6800.

First, check on the OpenVPN Connect app as to where your config files need to be:
Right click the OpenVPN gui icon, select Settings and Advanced. The folder entry tells you where OpenVPN is expecting the files to be (you can change this, but there is really no need to). Copy all of your Netgear produced VPN client files to here (there should be 4 - two certs, one key and the *ovpn file).

Next you need a VPN network adapter. In the Win 11 Search box, type control panel, select the Control Panel app from the results, and then select Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing center.
Select Change Adapter Settings. Find the TAP adapter in the list, and Rename this to NETGEAR-VPN.

That should be enough, but there might be one further issue after testing.

To test the VPN, you need to have the computer on a different network, preferably one outside the router. The easiest way to do this is to connect your machine to the internet using a mobile phone's WiFi hotspot service. Once you have connected that way, right click on your OpenVPN Connect icon, select Connect

The app will show a log screen with various messages, the last of which should indicate a successful connection and hopefully, the icon will go green to show you are connected.

If you get an error saying that the Server Cert Verification has failed, then add the following line to the end of your config file (the *ovpn):

Remote-cert-tls server

Good luck, and I hope this helps.