Force all Windows client traffic thru VPN

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
cabinMike
OpenVpn Newbie

Force all Windows client traffic thru VPN

Post by cabinMike » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:22 pm

This gets me connected to my router and if I check "What's my IP" it shows my home address. But I leaking my location somehow as I am geo-blocked on the site I want to access.

Below is the client .ovpn file.

client
dev tap
proto udp
dev-node NETGEAR-VPN
remote "*my router*"
resolv-retry infinite
redirect-gateway
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
key client.key
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo
verb 5

These two lines are in the log:
2023-02-19 13:49:07 us=671000 OpenVPN ROUTE: OpenVPN needs a gateway parameter for a --route option and no default was specified by either --route-gateway or --ifconfig options
2023-02-19 13:49:07 us=671000 OpenVPN ROUTE: failed to parse/resolve route for host/network: 172.168.1.0

If I add "block-outside-DNS" at the bottom I can connect but am still geo-blocked.
And these are in the log:
2023-02-19 13:49:07 us=765000 Blocking outside dns using service succeeded.
WrWrWRwrWrWrWrWRwrWR2023-02-19 13:49:08 us=187000 Extracted DHCP router address: 172.168.1.1

If I change the 7th line from "redirect-gateway" to "redirect-gateway 172.168.1.1". I don't connect and terminates with error code 1 in the popup window and this is the log file:
Options error: unknown --redirect-gateway flag: 172.168.1.1
Use --help for more information.

If I hover over the network tray icon in the bottom right of my windows laptop screen it shows both my local router and my home router with "internet access". I've tried this a bunch of times and a couple of random times it has shown "no internet access" for the local router. In those cases, I'm not geo blocked and can access the site. In one case it ran just as desired for ~3 hours before I shut it down. I immediately tried to reconnect with the same config file, and I could, but was geo-blocked.

Not sure why it's not repeatable.

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

cabinMike
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Force all Windows client traffic thru VPN

Post by cabinMike » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:40 pm

This is interesting. whatismyip.com reports just the remote IPv4 address, but ipleaks.net reports the remote IPv4 address and the local IPv6 address. So I think I need to setup the tunnel and my router for IPv4 and IPv6. There are a few options on the remote router for IPv6, I can fiddle with that. But if anyone has a client script to get me started that would help.