Private network's DNS servers dropped after awhile

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
mgjewett
OpenVpn Newbie

Private network's DNS servers dropped after awhile

Post by mgjewett » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:03 am

I'm using version Version 3.3.6 (4368).

I keep losing my DNS servers when I'm connected to the VPN. I happily work along connected to my work's VPN (server is in the cloud to allow access to cloud resources). Then all of a sudden DNS lookups fail for my works resources. I look at the VPN status and it says I'm connected. But when I look at the DNS servers with

Code: Select all

scutil --dns
they are reverted back to my home's DNS servers.

I can still dig/nslookup to my works DNS servers, so I know the tunnel is still established, but it is just lost from my config. I disconnect and then reconnect and everything works again for a little while.

This happens whether I'm directly connected to my router or connected over wireless. When I go into the office I still use the VPN to access the cloud resources and it doesn't appear to drop the DNS servers. This points me to my home network, but I'm at a loss as to what to investigate with this as it happens with wired or wireless interfaces.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I could try I would appreciate it.

mgjewett
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Private network's DNS servers dropped after awhile

Post by mgjewett » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:53 pm

After more playing, it appears to be related to having 2 network interfaces active. if I only have my wifi interface active then it keeps the proper DNS or if I disable the wifi and plug in my ethernet dongle it keeps the proper DNS. But if I have both active then it loses the proper DNS and reverts back to the home DNS.

So now I need to figure out why that is happening.

mgjewett
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mgjewett » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:14 pm

ok, that theory is thrown out the window. I removed my ethernet dongle and am just using wireless interface and I'm still losing the DNS settings from my works VPN. Lost them 2 times this morning. Had to disconnect and reconnect to get them back even though I could still reach the DNS server over the tunnel.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:48 am

Hello mgjewett,

Please update the app. Quoting from changelog from 3.4.1 version:

Release date: 2 December 2022
- Enabled a watchdog function to ensure DNS settings are kept intact.

Pretty sure updating will solve it.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support