Client disconnects when remote screensharing session ends

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
GrowfyBruce
OpenVpn Newbie

Client disconnects when remote screensharing session ends

Post by GrowfyBruce » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:30 pm

The OpenVPN Connect client 3.4.1 (4522) running on an M1 MacBook Pro (Ventura 13.1) is disconnecting my VPN connection when I close my Screen Sharing session to that machine.

The machine isn't sleeping (I have disabled every sleep option the pmset command-line utility has, I left caffeinate running in a Terminal window on the laptop, and I'm ssh'd into it) but Connect drops the VPN connection anyway.

Why is Connect deciding to drop the VPN connection and how can I prevent it?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Client disconnects when remote screensharing session ends

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:17 pm

Hello GrowfyBruce,

No idea at the moment. What screen sharing exactly are you using? A particular program or a built-in function of macOS to share screen? Can you provide details? Does the user get logged out on the machine when you exit the screen share?

I am pretty sure Connect is not deciding anything on its own, it does not have awareness of what actions you're doing. It more than likely is encountering a situation where it is being told by macOS itself to stop, or by some other action of macOS or the screen sharing program is prevented from doing its job. It would be nice to understand exactly with details how to reproduce what you are doing, so that we can copy that situation here in a test setup, and see if we get to see the same behavior. If we do, we can look into a possible solution for it. Without being able to reproduce it here we're just taking a stab in the dark.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support