Learning OPENVPN remote access

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

DonM
OpenVpn Newbie

Learning OPENVPN remote access

Post by DonM » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:54 pm

Last eve I read a lot of the documentation about setting up and troubleshooting openvpn remotes access servers. I also looked at various posts where people are having trouble gaining access. It looks like being able to read the logs and find them and search them is a must learn. Being able to identify what ip addresses and ports are being asked to do. It looks like the certificates and keys play an important role.
I saw one place where a guy is using what seamed to be like a added utility written for OPENVPN remote access servers and clients that create a client and server profile.
OPENVPN likes subnets. OPENVPN has a way of whitelisting mac addresses. NAT plays an important role. An OPENVPN server does not make a good gateway as it might double up on being a dns. Network address translation takes place someplace.
I have also been studying the pfSense firewalls and it appears they might make a good complement to the setup. pfSense can also me used to to be a openvpn server.
I am still confused about public facing static IP and private facing internal IP.