Connection "Balloon" and ip address

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
Rog Fanther
OpenVpn Newbie

Connection "Balloon" and ip address

Post by Rog Fanther » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:56 pm

Hello,

I´m helping a friend with a peculiar problem :

We recently configured his machine to access an OpenVPN server in an office he works with. Only with this connection, the baloon ( do not know if it is the right name used here ) doesn´t appear after completing the connection. On connections for other places, in the same machine / client (OpenVPN GUI 11,25) the balloon appears. Also, the ip address doesn´t appear when hovering the mouse over the client in the system tray.

Same happens in windows 10 and windows 7, on his computer and mine.

Would this need some configuration on the server side, or the .ovpn script ?

Can this behavior be affected by the servers using tun or tap ?

Thanks.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Connection "Balloon" and ip address

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:05 am

Hello Rog Fanther,

I had no idea there were balloons in computers. Sounds festive. But in all seriousness, I am unsure what you actually mean. By balloon, do you mean like a notification popup or something that lets you know the moment a connection goes up or down? Or do you mean some additional information that is shown when you hover over an icon for a program in the system tray?

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Rog Fanther
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Rog Fanther » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:33 pm

Your software, and site, call it sometimes a balloon, sometimes a popup.

I mean the balloon-like ( because it has a little tail, like a balloon in comic stories ) that says "XPTO is now connected".

Also, when one hovers over the icon in the systray, the field for the ip address is blank ( but the connection works and machines on the other side can be accessed ) .

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:32 pm

Hi Rog Fanther,

So for the issue about 'when one hoves over the icon in the systray, the field for the ip address is blank' - is that with the latest version of OpenVPN GUI?

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Rog Fanther
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Rog Fanther » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:20 pm

No, not the latest, but that is the version he already uses with other connections. And on those connections, the popup/balloon appears, and the ip field gets filled also.

That is why I asked if it depends on some configuration on the server to appear, or the kind of connection ( TUN x TAP x ... )

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:19 pm

Hello Rog Fanther,

It may be that on TUN connections the IP address is known to the OpenVPN process and therefore can be used in messages to the user, whereas with TAP, it may not be available. If you like, you can test this, and if you find it to be broken and can tell how to reproduce it, file a bug for it at the OpenVPN GUI github issues section:
https://github.com/OpenVPN/openvpn-gui/issues

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.