Can not connect with iOS 16.1.2

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
owlhouse
OpenVpn Newbie

Can not connect with iOS 16.1.2

Post by owlhouse » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:39 am

Hello all,

I have an up camera that I want to be able to have remote access to outside my LAN via my iPhone. I’m using a tp-link 3000 router with open vpn server enabled. I’m able to generate a certificate and download the config file to my desktop. I then email the file to myself so I can open it on my iPhone and this is where the error occurs. I have downloaded the open vpn connect app to my iPhone 13 running ios 16.1.2. When I open the email to try and share the file to open vpn, the open vpn app does not appear in the suggested apps. If I save the file to my iPhone directly, the file saves as “file URL” and if I try and open it, again open vpn is no where to be found. I’ve tried connecting my iPhone to iTunes but I can’t find open vpn through iTunes either. I tried accessing iCloud via windows pc hoping I could upload the document there but I couldn’t find a way to upload the file. I’ve also tried downloading the open vpn connect client app for windows and I get a different error when trying to open the config file. It loads in open vpn client but ultimately I get “connection timeout-connection failed to establish within a given time” any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
-Tony

UPDATE: I got it working now. It seems that the mail app I was using on my iPhone did not support the .ovpn file. I opened the file using the native ios mail app instead and got it working. Thank you.