OpenVPN connect to Active Directory [oconf]

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
DavePI
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN connect to Active Directory [oconf]

Post by DavePI » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:11 pm

Hello,
I have got installed openvpn server on my debian virtual machine. Evrything it's OK,but now I want conenct this server to the windows active directory.
I not found any working manual for this task. Unfortunately I don't have Access server, for which I found lot of configuration.

Can you help me please?
Thank you very much

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN connect to Active Directory [oconf]

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:52 am

Hello DavePI,

What do you mean by connecting this server to Windows active directory? You mean for authentication? DNS resolution? Or just network access to resources? Printer sharing?

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

DavePI
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by DavePI » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:10 am

Hello Johan,

I need configuration of openvpn to active directory for user authentication. I want to have one .ovpn file and users will enetring theirs name and password from active directory when they will be connecting to ovpn server.

Interesting is, If I setup access server and ldap in it, everything is OK. Users go to webserver, enter their name an pass (which is set in active Directory), and now, they will download ovpn file. Its working fine. Unfortunately Access server is only for 2 connections and I need lot of conenctions. So I'm using openvpn in terminal in debian.

Please help me. I tried lot of ways of configuration of this, but every time is something wrong.
Thank you very much

OpenVPN Expert

Post by 300000 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:18 am

DavePI wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:10 am
Hello Johan,

I need configuration of openvpn to active directory for user authentication. I want to have one .ovpn file and users will enetring theirs name and password from active directory when they will be connecting to ovpn server.

Interesting is, If I setup access server and ldap in it, everything is OK. Users go to webserver, enter their name an pass (which is set in active Directory), and now, they will download ovpn file. Its working fine. Unfortunately Access server is only for 2 connections and I need lot of conenctions. So I'm using openvpn in terminal in debian.

Please help me. I tried lot of ways of configuration of this, but every time is something wrong.
Thank you very much

That is Open Access server designed for use a lot of peoples with easy management with fee. Two accounts for you to test system is working as you expect. If you like to save money and do it yourself just google it as peoples who make Open Access Server will never help you to solve your question. That is time and money and money in quick return . Open source mean open to distribution and contribution not mean free money. If you use openvpn as you like

DavePI
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by DavePI » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:47 am

300000 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:18 am

That is Open Access server designed for use a lot of peoples with easy management with fee. Two accounts for you to test system is working as you expect. If you like to save money and do it yourself just google it as peoples who make Open Access Server will never help you to solve your question. That is time and money and money in quick return . Open source mean open to distribution and contribution not mean free money. If you use openvpn as you like

Thank you for your answer :lol: :D

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:22 pm

Hi DavePI,

You can do it with open source, but then you have to put in some elbow grease. You're probably then looking at figuring out how to get openvpn authenticating against PAM, and from PAM to active directory using LDAP or RADIUS or such. There are guides out there but I don't have experience with setting that up myself, unfortunately. But maybe someone else from community knows a good guide and can help you out.

Access Server is designed to make life easier but it costs money if you need more connections. It already has this solution ready to go. It's a choice you'll have to make for yourself.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support