[solved] How to make windows 10 work with OpenVPn AS?

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
axvpn
OpenVpn Newbie

[solved] How to make windows 10 work with OpenVPn AS?

Post by axvpn » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:55 pm

I have setup 2 OpenVPN Access Servers (v2.8.5) on google cloud VMs. They are the OpenVPN AS images available in the google marketplace already configured in Ubuntu 18.04.
I am able to connect with the respective clients on Android and Linux, using the downloaded automatic profiles when visiting the IP of either server. The clients are browsing the internet with no issues, and getting the IP of the server as a public IP. The only option i have changed on the servers, is "Have clients use the same DNS servers as the Access Server host", and forcing the use of TCP only, and setting up a few users to connect. Everything else is configured the way it comes out of the box.

Windows 10 on the other hand is not working.
I downloaded the Open Connect V3 .msi executable with the username already configured from the servers, the profiles connect automatically. I also updated the clients to the latest version from here: https://openvpn.net/client-connect-vpn-for-windows/

On 3 different windows 10 computers, (one laptop, another on a VM and a 3rd computer in another location), i have the same issue. The clients connect, but they are not able to resolve any domains. But they can ping IPs ike 8.8.8.8 or any other IP on the internet.
I tried setting up DNS manually in the windows clients network adapter properties without any luck.

Do i need to configure anything on windows 10? or something on the servers?

Thank you.
Last edited by axvpn on Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: How to make windows 10 work with OpenVPn AS?

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:01 am

Hello axvpn,

It is possible that the DNS server being provided to your Access Server is an internal-only non-routable DNS server (like 169.254.something address). Then VPN clients cannot use that DNS server. I believe on Android and iOS there may be a fallback DNS it can use like 8.8.8.8 or such, that could explain why that's still working.

I suggest you go to Access Server's Admin UI and go to VPN Settings and specify a DNS server to use, and push something like 8.8.8.8 or something. Then it should work fine when VPN clients get instructions to use the DNS server that the Access Server pushes to the VPN clients.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

axvpn
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: How to make windows 10 work with OpenVPn AS?

Post by axvpn » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:20 pm

openvpn_inc wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:01 am
Hello axvpn,

It is possible that the DNS server being provided to your Access Server is an internal-only non-routable DNS server (like 169.254.something address). Then VPN clients cannot use that DNS server. I believe on Android and iOS there may be a fallback DNS it can use like 8.8.8.8 or such, that could explain why that's still working.

I suggest you go to Access Server's Admin UI and go to VPN Settings and specify a DNS server to use, and push something like 8.8.8.8 or something. Then it should work fine when VPN clients get instructions to use the DNS server that the Access Server pushes to the VPN clients.

Kind regards,
Johan
Thank you Johan!!!!
I changed the option to use the server's DNS and set them manually as you suggested and now the windows clients are able to connect. :D
Thanks a lot again.
Good luck

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: [solved] How to make windows 10 work with OpenVPn AS?

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:52 pm

Hi axvpn,

Glad to hear it helped. Have a nice day.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support