Does OpenVpn support cleanbrowsing.net DNS?

Use this forum to share your VPN or network disasters. Show diagrams, traffic graphs, or whatever else you need (a video of you letting the 'smoke' out of our network gear).

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

OpenThis222
OpenVpn Newbie

Does OpenVpn support cleanbrowsing.net DNS?

Post by OpenThis222 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:48 pm

Hi,

I can't seem to find this info in FAQ's or knowledge bases. Figured a compatibility table or list would be an easy find.

Want to set cleanbrowsing.net adult blocking DNS thru openvpn configured on my mullvad VPN on my netgear flashrouter.

Wireguard doesn't support it or it breaks? the VPN.

I'm confused if this is a matter to take up with mullvad or openvpn or both. (or flashrouters)

Thanks!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Does OpenVpn support cleanbrowsing.net DNS?

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:23 pm

I tried to load cleanbrowsing.net and got this:

Code: Select all

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected an issue and did not continue to cleanbrowsing.net. The web site is either misconfigured or your computer clock is set to the wrong time.

It’s likely the web site’s certificate is expired, which prevents Firefox from connecting securely. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the web site, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the web site’s administrator about the problem.

ordex
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Does OpenVpn support cleanbrowsing.net DNS?

Post by ordex » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:24 am

OpenThis222 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:48 pm
I can't seem to find this info in FAQ's or knowledge bases. Figured a compatibility table or list would be an easy find.
OpenVPN itself does not really care about the DNS you are using. Basically the DNS is something that you set (manually or automatically) and they are used.

I presume mullvad is trying to inject their DNS, but you want to use something different. Then you can manually configure the cleanbrowsing DNS on your router, but you have to be sure that mullvad allows DNS traffic to other servers. If they block it, then you can't do much.