Not sure what to Google

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
secs
OpenVpn Newbie

Not sure what to Google

Post by secs » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:52 am

In preperation of my upcoming change of internet providers and the fact they dont provide public ip address's I have been looking for a solution to access my servers of various types from the net but by anyone not just me.

I host a couple of web servers and I also have tcp traffic that needs to access my network at home. I tried reverse SSH tunnelling and it works. I can go out into the world and log back into my servers.

Now I have been trying and looking around. I have set up my web servers via Cloudfare. Works well.

But I still need to send tcp data from the outside world back into my system. I jsut found Goodaccess and trying that and it gives me a public address/ip and allows me to port forward. Just what I need.

So I decided to look for alternatives and came across openvpn.cloud.

Can I use this to open a port to allow access from my monitoring stations out and about? Can I get a public address and when traffic hits port 5575 forward it to my local network?

I have drivin myself batty the last few days trying to find basically the equivelenat of my reverse ssh tunnel. If I used openvpn cloud do I use a host, network or cloud?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Not sure what to Google

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:33 am

Hello secs,

Since you want it to be accessible from the Internet without requiring visitors to install anything special, then this is the solution that is easiest that I would recommend for you to deploy:

Deploy OpenVPN Access Server somewhere that has a public IP, and connect your web server to it as a VPN client, and configure the DMZ option in User Permissions for this VPN user to assign a port on the public IP of the Access Server itself to be redirected to this VPN client that is running the web service. That way when that port on the public IP of the Access Server is visited by someone on the Internet, it will be redirected through the VPN tunnel to the VPN client running the web server, and that will then service the request.

If by any chance the port you wish to use is port TCP 22, 443, 943, or UDP 1194, which are used by the Access Server itself, you can reconfigure the Access Server to use other ports to ensure that they are free for use for this DMZ forwarding function.

There are other possibilities to achieve your goal but they require more effort and configuration. For example OpenVPN Cloud offers only a private-only network, and to have a presence on the public Internet you would need to attach a machine with a public IP as a VPN client to OpenVPN Cloud and then set up some port forwarding to another VPN client that runs the web service to then make it reachable from the public Internet.

I am not sure goodaccess can do even that, since their public gateway appears to be outgoing only, and shared with other customers.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

secs
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Not sure what to Google

Post by secs » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:16 pm

MAny thanks. I will fire
up a VPS and give it a go.