OpenVPN to your own home ASUS router - obscure data

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

MaxPowers007
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN to your own home ASUS router - obscure data

Post by MaxPowers007 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:31 am

Hi there,

I was wondering, when I use a OpenVPN tunnel from a hotel to my home (Asus router running OpenVPN at home), is my traffic visible to my ISP at home? (the hotel's ISP would not know my browsing activity, but at my home where the tunnel ends up the ISP of my home internet can see every detail?)

I assume so, since it's a tunnel to my personal home internet, vs. if you buy a subscription VPN service which supposedly does not log your activities and makes your browsing invisible to your ISP?

Unless the encryption of data inside the OpenVPN tunnel means my home ISP cannot see what I'm downloading? they can only see from which IP's and what data size?

if that were so, I could even turn it on at home, all my internet activity would be encrypted so my ISP does not know what websites I visit or what I download (however they can see the IP's and amount of data transferred, but the latter is always the case with any VPN)

many thanks for any advice,

cheers,
John