Is it possible to use more than 1 Public IPs for an OpenVPN Access Server?

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
bukrsc01@gmail.com
OpenVpn Newbie

Is it possible to use more than 1 Public IPs for an OpenVPN Access Server?

Post by bukrsc01@gmail.com » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:03 am

Hello All,

I was hoping to get an answer to my query..
Is it possible to use 2 or more Public IPs for a single OpenVPN Access Server? Assuming I can have my hosting server have more than 1 Network Interface.

If its possible, will having more than 1 public IP 'share' the user accounts of this single OpenVPN AS? Like for example, I am using first the Free OpenVPN AS, which can have 2 concurrent users. So if I have 2 Public IPs, can I have like 2 users per Public IP? will that work?

Or is it like possible to install more than 1 instance of OpenVPN Access Server in a single hosting server? So each OpenVPN AS can have its own Public IP.

Thanks in advance!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Is it possible to use more than 1 Public IPs for an OpenVPN Access Server?

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:55 am

Hello,

It is possible to use more than one public IP address on the Access Server and you can configure them to be used in a semi-random order. You unfortunately can't bind a specific user to a specific IP for their outgoing requests to the Internet.

You can run virtual machines on a server and run Access Server in there. Please do not use docker, it has limitations on its network level. But you can use virtualbox, qemu, kvm, and so on. Then each server can have its own public IP address.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

bukrsc01@gmail.com
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Is it possible to use more than 1 Public IPs for an OpenVPN Access Server?

Post by bukrsc01@gmail.com » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:53 am

openvpn_inc wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:55 am
Hello,

It is possible to use more than one public IP address on the Access Server and you can configure them to be used in a semi-random order. You unfortunately can't bind a specific user to a specific IP for their outgoing requests to the Internet.

You can run virtual machines on a server and run Access Server in there. Please do not use docker, it has limitations on its network level. But you can use virtualbox, qemu, kvm, and so on. Then each server can have its own public IP address.

Kind regards,
Johan

ah I see. thanks for confirming @Johan.
Yeah I am trying to avoid virtualization, but I guess I'm gonna have to go with that for my purpose.