Open VPN Exits when trying to add profile - Android 12

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
MonsterVic
OpenVpn Newbie

Open VPN Exits when trying to add profile - Android 12

Post by MonsterVic » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:06 pm

Hi All !

I'm using Open VPN for Android successfully for several years to connect back to my Home NAS.
Today I have changed my phone to a Xiaomi 11T Pro with Android 12.

You can imagine that I have spent my whole day to setup everything and when I came to setup the usual Open VPN connection then I have faced to a problem.

Simply when I'm trying to add a profile after pressing the + button, I'm giving it a name, pressing OK and the application exits. That's it, no error or anything else.
When I'm trying to import an ovpn it looks that it understood the file content, but when trying to save it it does nothing just going back to the Home screen and no profile created.

This sounds like to me that there is some kind of write permission issue here. I tried to manually check the app permissions but there is nothing special what I could do there. With a Clean install it says No permissions granted, and the only thing I can manually add as a permission is to access only to Media Content, added it but no change to the behavior.

Open VPN is the latest version from the Play Store it's 0.7.37.

Anybody else is suffering of the same problem ? Any ideas ?

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: Open VPN Exits when trying to add profile - Android 12

Post by Pippin » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:18 pm

You are using Open VPN for Android which is developed by one of the devs of OpenVPN and the second recommended client.
For support you can go here: https://github.com/schwabe/ics-openvpn/issues

You can also try OpenVPN Connect, OpenVPN's own App.
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

MonsterVic
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Open VPN Exits when trying to add profile - Android 12

Post by MonsterVic » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:03 am

OMG you are right I'm in the wrong forum :) Sorry for that.

In fact I tried with Open VPN Connect many times before but never with a success. Today I have spent more time now on investigating this and the setenv CLIENT_CERT 0 in the ovpn file solved the problem and now it's working well with OpenVPN Connect. So anyway, this or that way I have a solution now :)