OpenVPN IP not accessible to the public.

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
Fr3akyMurk
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN IP not accessible to the public.

Post by Fr3akyMurk » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:42 pm

Hello!

I am trying to use OpenVPN to basically mask my IP as I am trying to host a game server for a few friends and it needs to be open to the public in that case.

I have basically configured everything to make it somewhat work, I can use the internet on my local server but the server doesn't show up in the server lists, now I may have configured the port forwarding wrong as it's set up to be used on my device IP.

(Forgot to mention, the VPN is not hosted on my local network, rather I host it on AWS)

Any tips or help?
Thanks.

- Mark

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN IP not accessible to the public.

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:02 pm

Are you using OpenVPN Access Server or OpenVPN Community Edition ?

viewtopic.php?t=22603

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN IP not accessible to the public.

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:01 pm

Hello Fr3akyMurk,

A good way to mask your IP address with the one used by the VPN will be to configure full tunnnel in your VPN server. This will route all the traffic through the tunnel using the public IP address of the Access Server.

Now regarding the port forward configuration in the Access Server you can try the steps suggested in the link below:

https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... -interface

Regards,

Marcelino
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support