Connecting but what's my ip shows wrong information

Use this forum to share your VPN or network disasters. Show diagrams, traffic graphs, or whatever else you need (a video of you letting the 'smoke' out of our network gear).

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

JordanThompson
OpenVpn Newbie

Connecting but what's my ip shows wrong information

Post by JordanThompson » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:38 pm

I am connecting from my laptop via a hotspot on my (t-mobile) phone to an openVPN server running on my TrueNAS server at home.

It connects fine and I am able to browse the internet as well as my servers behind my router.

The problem is that when I run "https://whatismyipaddress.com", it shows the T-Mobile information from my phone.

My wife and I use this when we travel overseas so that we can access banks and other URLs that frown on foreign IP addresses accessing them. I also use it to access my devices at home so that I can maintain them when on the road.

Here is (I think) the issue in the configuration of the server (I just don't know what I am looking for):
Remote hosts receive a 10.20.0.0/24 IP address from the OpenVPN server.
My home network is 10.13.0.0/24
My router is 10.13.0.1 (and it provides DNS to my home network)

Code: Select all

push "route 10.20.0.0 255.255.255.0"
push "route 10.13.0.0 255.255.255.0"
push "redirect-gateway def1"
push "dhcp-option DNS 10.13.0.1"
Of course I will provide any additional files and information, but as I don't know where to start, I don't know what to share.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Last edited by JordanThompson on Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JordanThompson
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Connecting but what's my ip shows wrong information

Post by JordanThompson » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:51 pm

I just tried to access the openvpn server from my phone (with the hotspot turned off and only connected via cellular)... It connects fine, but I am unable to browse anything at all!
I forgot to mention that port 6790 is port-forwarded to 1194

JordanThompson
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Connecting but what's my ip shows wrong information

Post by JordanThompson » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:34 pm

I was able to get it working using this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEkfW4aC9Rk
There are (quite a few) tunables that need to be set under system