Encrypting cert/key for openvpn config file

Scripts to manage certificates or generate config files

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

skk6
OpenVpn Newbie

Encrypting cert/key for openvpn config file

Post by skk6 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:43 pm

Hi All,

Is there a way by which I can provide cert and key files as encrypted which we mention in client.ovpn file under SSL/TLS section? I am currently keeping these file data in a container file system which i don't want to expose to others. Any chance openvpn permits taking the encrypted file from config file and process it during its set up?

thanks

OpenVPN Expert

Re: Encrypting cert/key for openvpn config file

Post by 300000 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:21 pm

You can use with windows and install certificate into certificate store without export private key. But this is only possible for windows user anh not available with other OS. Trouble is how those management that certificates and only window go ahead of them . Certificate can have pass word protect but user will hold and they can copy as they like. Under winndows certificate store management user can use certificate but cant make a copy and hold those certificate for missuse protection.

skk6
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Encrypting cert/key for openvpn config file

Post by skk6 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:21 am

I am using openvpn in a linux container environment which runs as a separate process within container. So my requirement was to keep the crt and key files in some encrypted way in the container system - using some AES or PBKDF algorithms for encrypting and decrypting the file which can be used by openvpn while reading the client.ovpn file. Not sure whether openvpn provides such facility to process these files the way I want now. thanks for your reply