OpenVPN on Synology works but ports seem to be blocked

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
blb
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN on Synology works but ports seem to be blocked

Post by blb » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:42 am

I have installed VPN-Server on my Synology and configured OpenVPN on it. I have opened the needed port and i am able to connect my Mac to my office vpn (where the Synology is) via Tunnelblick.

When i am connected i can reach my local devices via there internal ip address (192.168.2.xx)

As a software developer, I use XDebug to debug my php code. The synology also has some virtual machines with Ubuntu server installed. I normally (without vpn) am able to debug via XDebug via my Mac to that synology virtual machine with Ubuntu, bus via the VPN i cannot connect to that port (9000). Also there is a websocket server running on the Ubuntu server on port 4000, but also that is not reachable when i am connected to my VPN.

On the Synology the firewall isn't enabled.

Does anyone know how i can solve this?

Thank you

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN on Synology works but ports seem to be blocked

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:26 pm

Hi bib,

I moved your topic to a more appropriate forum. OpenVPN Connect is our proprietary client software, and you're not using that; you're using Tunnelblick. We don't really have a forum for open source client issues, and I suppose that's because ultimately most client issues are server issues.

This really does sound like firewall and routing issues. For VPN routing to work, the routes must exist on both sides of the tunnel. That is, the router on your LAN has to know to reach the VPN addresses through the server (Synology.)

Ubuntus might have their "ufw" firewall tool enabled. You probably want to disable that.

You might also want to take this question to a Synology user forum, if there is one.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

blb
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN on Synology works but ports seem to be blocked

Post by blb » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:15 pm

Thank you for you action, i have checked the Ubuntu server but the firewall is disabled.
I have asked on the Synology forum but they guided me to this forum.

The Synology has the firewall disabled but the router (draytek) has the firewall enabled. Should the problem be in the router?