Netgear R7000P

Use this forum to share your VPN or network disasters. Show diagrams, traffic graphs, or whatever else you need (a video of you letting the 'smoke' out of our network gear).

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

dropframe
OpenVPN User

Re: Netgear R7000P

Post by dropframe » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:25 pm

Tech support from SurfShark told me that my router Netgear R7000P can only be set up as an OpenVPN server and NOT as an OpenVPN client.
does that make any sense to you?

Looks like I can make my computer go through a SurfShark ip in another country but not everything that goes through my router.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:44 pm

We do not provide support for either Surfshark or your router.

If you require personal support then I am available for hire.

dropframe
OpenVPN User

Post by dropframe » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:49 pm

Not looking for Surfshark support. Just telling you what they said about your product and looking for confirmation or another viewpoint.
Do you think OpenVPN can be used as a client on Netgear R7000P?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:05 pm

OpenVPN Community edition is a server and client Open source program.

Your router is obviously trash.

dropframe
OpenVPN User

Post by dropframe » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:38 pm

Why would you say my router is trash?
I got the impression that it would work with OpenVPN. I don't necessarily believe what I was told by another company.
Just wanted your opinion. I'm willing to do as you suggested and start over. If you think it has a chance of working.
Sounds like they don't know what they are talking about. The router has instructions "OpenVPN client setup instruction" right in their advanced setup menu.

dropframe
OpenVPN User

Post by dropframe » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:57 pm

Since Surfshark has added a new protocol "Wireguard" and seems to automatically select it, do I need to specify UDP as the protocol with them since in my client.opvn file, proto is udp and none of the other proto choices are wireguard?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:02 am

dropframe wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:38 pm
Why would you say my router is trash?
If you have read your router manual then it must be trash, otherwise you would understand how it works.:

dropframe
OpenVPN User

Post by dropframe » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:43 pm

Since Surfshark has added a new protocol "Wireguard" and seems to automatically select it, do I need to specify UDP as the protocol with them since in my client.opvn file, proto is udp and none of the other proto choices are wireguard?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:51 pm

Hi drop,

This is the OpenVPN community forum. We do not support Wireguard here in any form. But they are a worthy project, feel free to check them out.

Regarding the "trash" comment, while I do try to be a bit more sensitive in my word choices (not always succeeding, haha) I can tell you this: the openvpn(8) software, as Tin noted, is both client AND server, in a single binary. It will be either, depending on the configuration you give it.

The fact that your router can only be a server means that the Netgear developers have artificially limited the software or the configuration. If they knew more about openvpn they would not have done that. From what I read in this thread (note: I have not done any research of your router product, just taking your word for it) it is apparent that these people do not know enough about openvpn to make a GUI for it.

So there you have it. I tend to see it in similar terms as Tin expressed.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support