Internet OpenVPN client access through public cloud OpenVPN instance to a remote LAN with OpenVPN Gateway

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
mache@creeger.com
OpenVpn Newbie

Internet OpenVPN client access through public cloud OpenVPN instance to a remote LAN with OpenVPN Gateway

Post by mache@creeger.com » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:24 pm

I want to be able to allow an OpenVPN CLIENT on the Internet to connect to a public cloud OpenVPN server instance that will forward all network traffic between the CLIENT and a remote LAN OpenVPN gateway. The CLIENT should be able to function as a full client device on the LAN. While most inbound LAN gateway traffic is unrestricted from the public Internet, inbound traffic to an OpenVPN server is blocked by the ISP and I must use the public cloud instance as a workaround. Outbound OpenVPN client traffic from the LAN to the public Internet is unaffected.

This setup will require:

1. An Ubuntu cloud instance OpenVPN server that maintains a permanent OpenVPN network link to a Raspberry Pi OS OpenVPN client functioning as a gateway to the remote LAN

2. The ability for tun OpenVPN CLIENT device (Android, IOS, MacOS, Windows 10/11) network traffic to connect to the Ubuntu OpenVPN server cloud instance and have all network traffic be forwarded between the LAN and the CLIENT.

I need the proper OpenVPN, route, and iptables firewall configurations for:

a. Raspberry Pi OS that is the OpenVPN client and LAN gateway permanently connecting to the Ubuntu cloud instance OpenVPN server to the LAN.

b. The Ubuntu cloud instance OpenVPN server.

c. The tun OpenVPN CLIENT device (can use either Tunnelblick or just a straight OpenVPN Windows 10/11 client installation)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.