Inbound/Outbound data flow rate issue

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

user336620
OpenVpn Newbie

Inbound/Outbound data flow rate issue

Post by user336620 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:45 pm

Good day

I'm facing an issue. Maybe I had it before but I never have paid attention. Recently moved to another provider with limited data traffic. For ages I used different and more affordable provider

Issue is now I have two charts in my admin panel one for Inbound, another one for Outbound. I got surprised (maybe shouldn't) when after couple of days I had consumption of 100Gb but in fact I received about 50Gb.

Amount of date is basically almost evenly split between Inbound and Outbound consumption. Outbound always slightly higher.

I wouldn't worry but the data is limited and additional cost apply. For years I was sure that since I setup Client/Server mode connection work the way that way: Client request from Internet and receiving the data from Internet. It is like one way traffic. Clients are making request to receive traffic, but why it's doubling?

I also run OpenVPN Status monitor and I see traffic as such: Total Bytes In: 4.5Gb/Total Bytes Out: 40.5Gb, But in VPS admin panel Total Bytes In: 40.7Gb/Total Bytes Out: 45.5Gb - it is example

I also give an example for I'm using it for: Youtube, Netflix and social networks. No torrents or such traffic

So, I'm not sure if it is normal or my setup is wrong? I usually figurine out my self an issue but I can't find an answer.

In my mind is that I did something wrong in the routing. Because to me it looks like traffic from internet is going trough OpenVPN, and then somehow routing it to the way back but to the client.

Thank you

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Inbound/Outbound data flow rate issue

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:46 pm

user336620 wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:45 pm
but why it's doubling?
Because that is exactly how it works. Your server sends the data to your client ..

user336620
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Inbound/Outbound data flow rate issue

Post by user336620 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:52 am

Thank you! That make sense obviously. Just never seen impact of it