OpenVPN AS not tunneling

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
RottenDurian
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN AS not tunneling

Post by RottenDurian » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:42 am

Hello everyone,

So for some reason OpenVPN AS will not attach itself to port 943 after installation. I have tried to uninstall it and reinstall it multiple times while doing many various things and it still doesn't seem to want to attach itself to port 943. So I've tried to install it many different ways. I've installed it manually using the deb files provided on this page

https://openvpn.net/vpn-software-packages/#modal-items.

I am also using Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I have tried to install it by just doing

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -y install openvpn-as*
It seems to successfully install and everything, but it just won't attach a process to port 943 after installation. I can see that my OpenVPN server is up and running on port 1194 because I can connect to it via the OpenVPN Connect client program. So the OpenVPN server isn't a problem. I have tried disabling my firewall and I've even tried adding port 943 to the TCP and UDP port exceptions as well. So I don't know why it's not attaching itself to port 943.

I have also done

netstat -tulpn | grep :943
To see what is on port 943 and it returns nothing so that means nothing is running on it including OpenVPN AS. So I'm not entirely sure why it's doing this.

EDIT: I also did

nc -l 943
To see if I can access that port without having OpenVPN AS running on that port and that port seems to be working because I get feedback from it on my terminal.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN AS not tunneling

Post by openvpn_inc » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:47 am

Hello RottenDurian,

You should be seeing a python3 process attaching to TCP port 943 by default. If that's not happening then maybe another process is taking that port, or there is something else going on. After you do a service openvpnas restart it would be good to look at the /var/log/openvpnas.log file and see the startup routine there and any errors that are reported. Based on that we can see what we can do to resolve this.

You should probably contact us on the support ticket system instead so you can send over some log files and not worry about possibly leaking sensitive data on a public forum.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

RottenDurian
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN AS not tunneling

Post by RottenDurian » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:52 pm

Sorry, I made this post before I sent the ticket in. I will be using the ticket portal from this point forward.