Is seamless tunnel completely safe?

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
nagual
OpenVpn Newbie

Is seamless tunnel completely safe?

Post by nagual » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:02 pm

So, I have activated the seamless tunnel option.
I have also the "always on" option and "block connections without VPN" in my phone's connection settings.

It is still a bit scary, it looks like when my phone goes to 'screen off' mode when I don't touch it for a while, or I hit the switch off button on the phone to turn off the screen(not actually turned off but like a sleeping mode I guess), the VPN gets disconnected some times, due to the fact that when I turn it on,it looks like it is trying to get reconnected..

what is particularly scary is that there is an app that I use that send me notifications, even when my phone is on 'screen off mode', and I can hear the notification sound, and I wonder if that particular app, for which I specifically use the open VPN, could somehow find my IP when my phone is on the 'screen off' mode and VPN is being reconnected or not connected at that state..

Could you please verify that if taking these steps, seamless tunnel being on, VPN being "always on",and "block connections without VPN", is as completely safe as having a kill switch? it would be really problematic for me if the app could figure out my phone's IP.

nagual
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Is seamless tunnel completely safe?

Post by nagual » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:17 pm

it's strange cuz whenever I turn on the phone, the notification for theVPN says, "transport error, trying to recconect" and then it seems to be trying to connect, which freaks me out.