OpenVPN connected / no connect to Internet

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
GSP
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN connected / no connect to Internet

Post by GSP » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:41 am

Dear Community

OpenVPN Client (3.3.6-2752) is installed on my surface notebook.
Connection to my infrastructure NAS works with OpenVPN connect windows App active, but no connection to the internet anymore.

As soon as the VPN connection is established the basic internet connection is no more available (is gone).
When I log off the OpenVPN Connect, the Basic Internet Connection is again available.

I assume the issue is not a major topic for cracks like you to help.

Thanks for helping a non-professional step by step to solve this issue.

best Regards
Greg

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: OpenVPN connected / no connect to Internet

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:30 am

Hello Greg,

Most likely the server is pushing instructions to use a different DNS server, but this DNS server is unreachable. Therefore domain names don't resolve, therefore it seems like your Internet is not working. Try doing tests like ping google.com and ping 8.8.8.8 and see if those work. If the first fails and the second succeeds, you should look into the server configuration to see if you can stop it from pushing DNS server. Or at least push a sane DNS server.

It's kind of hard to diagnose without log files though. But this is one of the most common issues associated with your problem description.

Also, since this is a NAS we're talking about, it might help to browse support forums for that particular NAS on the topic of VPN connectivity.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support