Recommendation for a DMZ installation

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
arnaud.forster
OpenVpn Newbie

Recommendation for a DMZ installation

Post by arnaud.forster » Mon May 16, 2022 6:42 pm

Hello all,
I work for a school and I'm developping a software to manage our study plans. This software is connected to a database server in our LAN. Now I need to give an access to the database from the outside but, according to the security rules of my governement, I don't have a direct access from outside into my LAN ; I've to user a DMZ. So my idea is to install an OpenVPN server to connect to it from the outside and from there, having an access to the database server of my lan.
Because I'm very new for that, I wonder what it the best way to do it. My first idea was a server with 2 network cards ; the first one connected to my wan and the second one into my LAN ; but I'm not sure it's a good idea (lack of sercurity). The second option is have my server in my DMZ and ask for rules to redirect the traffic from my VPN server into my LAN on specific ports related to my database...
So what do you think is the best ?
Thanks to all for your help
Arnaud